Skip to main content

A Fistful of Rose Petals

“Maaaaaaaa! Gueshh what I got” my little birdie chirped in her ever pleasing sing song voice.

“Hmm.. what is it baby?”

“Gueshh naaaa…” the birdie’s voice is gaining frequency the minute. She is every bit her father’s daughter – loving, raucous and edgy.

Looking up at her from the book I am reading, see that her tiny little hand is all balled up into a tight fist and is outstretched towards me.

“Is it a button?” She loves picking up these things from wherever she can.
“No”

“Hmm.. is it a marble?”
“No…”

“Then is it..’”
“Never mind maa, I will show you” and she opens up her fist with a broad smile to show these precious petals from a rose flower, blood red in colour.





I am at a loss at what to tell her. Do I tell her that a plant is a living being, and that she is not supposed to hurt another living thing? But how could - I - who kills cockroaches and mosquitoes, eats non vegetarian food – tell my daughter that it is wrong hurt another living being? This topic is sure to bring a lot of doubts into my birdie’s mind for sure, maybe I cannot handle them all, but I feel I still should try- that is my duty as a mother.

Inhaling deeply, I make her sit down, close to me and tell, “Baby, do you know what these are?”

“Uh huh” pat came the reply with the vigorous nodding of the head, “rose petals. I plucked them myself. Look, they are shoooo pretty”

“Yes they definitely are very pretty, but not as much as you."
"Now listen to me carefully, the plants and trees that you see around, they are living things – made by God, just like you and me and have a life of their own. Do you remember when Roma aunty’s cat scratched you, how much it hurt? You cried so much and maa had to take you to the Doctor Uncles’ place.”

“Yesh yesh.. it pained sho much”
Aww, my heart goes out to her everytime she goes ‘sh’ instead of ‘ss’! Is it possible to hold onto these moments forever, never letting my birdie grow up and fly out of my nest!

“Just like that, when we pluck flowers or cut trees, it pains them, and the poor plants cannot even cry.”

The face that was beaming all this while had suddenly become crestfallen, pretty much like the drooping sunflower after a sunset. It hurt me to see her like this.

Springing up from where she was, she suddenly went out of my sight. Now where was this girl off to, with that gloomy expression on her face!


Following the chirping noise, I reach a plant heavy with the weight of blood red roses and find my birdie sitting underneath saying she’s sorry.


This post is written in response to WriteTribe Prompt # 4

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Megha. Hope to see you around more often :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Awww... when you compliment, don't be so stingy na :P

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you AamJunta. Hope to see you around more often :)

      Delete
  4. Awww...touching and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very touching. yeah, that's the way parent need to talk to their kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sir. When I have children of my own, I will remember your words :)

      Delete
  6. Just brilliant! Loved it all the way. Such a sweet kid! Sorry, that should be shweet. Oh, and shorry. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Thank you sho much Shir says my birdie :)

      Delete
  7. Children and their innocent love!
    Good you wrote this down to share with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a beautiful and cute, shweet shtory, loved it, and the last part was very touching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Kislaya for those warm words :)

      Delete
  9. This is so poignant ang touchy. Loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much ma'am. I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  10. Beautifully written dear.. loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such a wonderful gift, Bhavya. There's love and lessons aplenty in this and so beautifully expressed too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only a little child can do something like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. aww this is so cute and bful !
    I wish I could write stories like this ! Love ur narration style bhavz

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww bless, that's sho shweet.

    Dropping by from the Write Tribe linkup.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So touching this is. It is difficult to explain such things to kids and yet she understood perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Moms are the best story tellers, they wisely create a story relevant to the situation which includes a lesson for life... very nicely described...

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's such a sweet and a beautiful story! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I shared my thoughts with you, it's your turn now :)

Popular posts from this blog

Online?

She smiled as she read the chat. ‘Online?’ Just one word, yet, it made her smile. While typing out a yes, she wondered whether or not to add a smiley to go along with it… whether just the yes would sound rude to this overtly polite guy, or would the smiley give him an impression that she was anxiously waiting for his message. She chided herself for not having been active in the dating game in her younger days so she would know the nuances on how to, what to and what not to by now. To her dismay, he found Milan to be a very nice guy, who spoke and behaved well, she felt quite comfortable around him. After lunch, they went to the nearby park and from there chose to walk back till her apartment. On their way back, Milan asked her if she enjoyed the afternoon with him, though she answered a simple ‘it was fine’, her smile revealed a lot more and he caught the twinkle in her eyes and smiled back. That cute boyish grin, again. Something happened to her when he smiled at

Phone Number

The early morning sun rays kissed her good morning, and she woke up with a smile. Something told her it was going to be a beautiful day. She finished her early morning tasks and offered prayers and thanks to her Lord. Her mum and dad had called promptly in the morning to ask how the meeting went, whether she has taken a decision about Milan, what food she had ordered, her mother hoped she had worn a ‘decent’ dress and asked her again if she made a good impression on him. Frankly, Asha had no clue how to answer to all these queries. She said that they had a good time together, had lunch and an interesting conversation on their way back. Her mother sounded excited when she told her that Milan had come to drop her back home. She could almost imagine her mom’s eyebrows arching up in excitement. It was then that her mom asked her, “So, did you like him?” Now that, was a difficult question. She liked him, yes. But what her mom wanted to know was not whether she liked him or no

Noodles, Nimbu Paani & A Nice Guy

“Hi! I am Milan” Asha shook hands with the guy and stuttered, “I’m Asha” and managed a weak attempt at smiling. “Please, please sit. Can I get you some water, something to drink?” Asha shook her head, giving Milan a no for an answer. As she sat down, she wondered, Milan ehh, how come nobody told her. The waiter brought the menu cards and Milan was engrossed in it.  She knew what she would order and waited for him to pick his dish, meanwhile she sized him up. For a malayali guy, he was above average in looks, bordered on being handsome, tall, wheatish complexion, a lean face with a sharp nose.  He glanced up to look for the waiter, instead caught her looking, maybe even staring at him. Asha quickly looked away and there was the faint trace of a blush on her cheeks. He smiled and called for the waiter. When the guy came to get their order, Milan indicated Asha to go ahead and she promptly ordered egg noodles. Milan looked surprised and told the waiter,&